Film Festival: Art Competition Details
It is with great pleasure that the Rice Space Institute in conjunction with Rice Scientia invites project proposals from artists that relate to the concept of space exploration and its impact on humanity. Artists from all disciplines are encouraged to interpret the topic broadly in the creation of a proposal for an original work of art. The jury is particularly interested in proposals that refer to Houston’s past, present and future as a hub for the production of knowledge in space exploration. One winning proposal will be awarded a grant in the amount of $1800 to help realize this project. In addition, the winning project will be provided a public presentation venue on the Rice University campus, in collaboration with the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts.
Eligibility: Artists working in any medium, including enrolled students, within 75 miles of Houston are eligible to apply. Please be advised that short-listed artists will be asked to present their proposals at Rice University as part of the judging process.
Jury: All proposals will be reviewed by a panel of Rice faculty, Houston art community professionals as well as space exploration professionals.
To Apply: Please send the following in a single PDF to Susannah Mira, Artist (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Luis Duno Gottberg, Associate Professor at Rice University (email@example.com) with the subject line “Rice Space Arts Initiative”. The total file size must not exceed 5 MB.
- One page project proposal describing the work of art you pan to create and how it relates to the concept of space exploration. Include a statement on how the grant award will be used in the creation of this work.
- Brief biographical statement and a description of your current artwork
- Links to examples of your work
If you have multiple files under one link, please indicate which ones the jury should look at. Also include image information with title of work, year created, media and dimensions, if that information is not available with the online work sample.
- 10 digital images of recent work in JPG or PDF format, of 1 MB or less each
- 3-5 sound files in mp3 format
- 3-5 video clips, not to exceed 10 minutes total, uploaded to vimeo or youtube
To be given full consideration, artists are encouraged to submit their proposals by March 1, 2014.
A calendar of events for the Rice Film Festival can be found here.